Music at Fleet has always been given high priority and focus and we recognise the importance in developing not only children’s understanding and love of singing and music but also the positive impact it has in other areas of the curriculum.
Our range of music provision includes:
- Every class has a weekly half hour singing session.
- On Thursdays, there is a 25 minute Singing Assembly; one for juniors and one for infants.
- There is a school orchestra who have a regular rehearsal every Friday and perform at assemblies and other events.
- Each class from Years 1 - 6 performs one class assembly per term. The assembly includes five or six songs based on the topic they are studying that term. Reception children also perform an assembly in the summer term.
- At Christmas, both the junior and infant classes perform high quality shows incorporating music, drama and dance. Both of these are very well attended by parents/carers and are seen as amongst the highlights of the school year particularly by the children in Year 2 and Year 6 who lead them.
- As part of Camden’s Wider Opportunities Fund, children in Year 3 have a one hour weekly ukulele lesson, Year 4 learn the recorder and Year 5 participate in a lesson where they learn to play either the trumpet or trombone.
- Throughout the year children are given the opportunity to share their developing instrumental skills through music performance assemblies. These are also an opportunity to showcase songs that the children have been learning in group singing lessons.
- The school takes part in the bi-annual Camden Music Festival at the Royal Albert Hall and in frequent collaborative music sessions with other local schools.